We are heading out to Charlotte and packed all the gear to prep for a wedding. We were pulling out one of our flashes and it looks like there was some corrosion built up from the batteries being left in there for too long and it killed the flash!
Could have been a disaster since it is tough to take photos at a wedding without a flash during the ceremony that is dimly lit. We did a quick search through google to see what would help in fixing this up for us and we went into action!
The method that worked well for us was using baking soda and vinegar. We mixed the two together and swabbed it on with a q-tip and did the best that we could to clean it up! After letting it sit over night, we put in some fresh batteries and the flash was all good again!
Could have been a disaster trying to figure out some lighting. We likely would have had to make a stop at a Best Buy to purchase a new flash, but instead we were able to fix it up and get it working again!
To prevent this in the future, we will just have to take the batteries out of our flash after every use! We knew that we should have been doing that in the first place, but now that it finally bit us in the butt, we will finally make sure to do it.
Learn from our mistake. Keep the batteries out!